20 April 2010

The First Month

Well I've been here a month now, so it's definitely time to give you a proper update.

Spring arrived at the same time we landed, the weather has continued to be mostly warm and sunny ever since. We've been watching the trees blossom and the tulips popping up.

After phonecalls, appointments and interviews I'm officially a resident of Amsterdam! I'm pleasantly suprised at how painless the process has been. It's mainly worked out so well because I found somewhere to live so fast - as you can't get any papers to work without a permanent address.

I'm sharing a flat with one of my relo's, Esther. We live on Madurastraat, it's in the east of the city near Zeeburg. About 10 mins on the tram from dam square. There's even a windmill around the corner from our place.

Glamarama has been replaced by 2 parks Flevopark complete with swimming pools, and Oosterpark. Sunday was a warm 18 degrees, everybody headed for the outdoors either setting up table and chairs on the footpath out the front of the apartments or going to the park.The girls were out in their bikini's soaking up the first rays of sun for the season (a phenomenon otherwise known as "Tits out Tuesday").

Well yesterday I bought a fancy picnic rug, ready to get out there with the locals. I'm not convinced yet that I can get a suntan in Amsterdam, but it's an experiment i'm prepared to try.

Job you ask? I've officially started looking this week, fingers crossed I can find a good one.

Cheese Clogs and Windmills... There's definitely been a lot of cheese, and there's a windmill down the road. But I don't think I'll be near a pair of clogs or crocs anytime soon.



1 comment:

  1. 'Tits out Tuesday'...haha I love it! Bikini in 18 degrees still sounds cold to me.

    ReplyDelete